The effectiveness of oral antiviral (Sofosbuvir/Ledipasvir) in treating children with HCV infection | Al-Kaaby | Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences
 
مبل راحتی صندلی مدیریتی صندلی اداری میز اداری وبلاگدهی گن لاغری بازی اندروید تبلیغات کلیکی آموزش زبان انگلیسی پاراگلایدر مارکت اندروید تور آهنگ محسن چاوشی مسیح و آرش پروتز سینه پروتز باسن پروتز لب میز تلویزیون

The effectiveness of oral antiviral (Sofosbuvir/Ledipasvir) in treating children with HCV infection

Ban Adil Al-Kaaby, Abd El-Salam Dawood Al-Ethawi

Abstract


Objectives: To determine the efficacy of (Sofosbuvir/ledipasvir) in treating children with HCV infection.

Methods: This study was conducted at Gastroenterology, Hepatology Center /Pediatrics department and the Central Child Teaching Hospital, Baghdad / Iraq from April 2017 to January 2018. Patients with positive HCV PCR, aged 7 to 18 years were enrolled. History, clinical examinations and investigations were conducted. HCV genotyping was done (if affordable).  Sofosbuvir/Ledipasvir was given to all patients once daily. Ribavirin was added for INF-experienced patients or with established cirrhosis. Follow up with liver function and renal function and PCR was done at 12 weeks (end of treatment); then after 12 weeks post treatment (SVR12). Total duration of therapy was 12 weeks, extended to 24 in cases with established cirrhosis. Computer program SPSS version 20 was used for data analysis.

Results: The number of patients was 22, with mean age of 12.5 years, 14 boys (63.6%), and 8 girls (36.4%). Genotype 1 was the dominant type (75%). SVR 12 was achieved in 20 patients (90.9%), the remaining two (9.1%) had partial virological response. HBV co-infection was found in five cases; they were kept on Entecavir during the course of treatment. All achieved SVR12 for HCV with decrease in titer of HBV. Even INF-experienced patients (7 patients 31.8%) were responsive with SVR12. The treatment was well tolerated.

Conclusion: Sofosbuvir/ledipasvir is effective in treating HCV in children, and is well tolerated.

doi: https://doi.org/--------------------------------------------

How to cite this:Al-Kaaby BA, Al-Ethawi AES. The effectiveness of oral antiviral (Sofosbuvir/Ledipasvir) in treating children with HCV infection. Pak J Med Sci. 2018;34(6):---------.   doi: https://doi.org/ -------------------------------------------

This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.


Full Text: PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


kalsob-01_1303_01