Ischaemic mitral regurgitation: The effects of ring annuloplasty and suture annuloplasty repair techniques on left ventricular re-remodeling
Objective: To examine the mid-term results of patients on whom a coronary revascularization as well as a mitral ring and suture annuloplasty have been performed due to coronary artery disease (CAD) and ischaemic mitral regurgitation (IMR).
Methodology: Totally 73 patients on whom a revascularization and a mitral valve repair due to CAD and IMR had been performed in our clinic between 2000-2008 were included in the study. Patients were divided into two groups one of which included 38 patients (52.05%) on whom a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) and a ring annuloplasty on the mitral valve had been performed (Group 1) and the other one 35 patients (47.95%) on whom only suture annuloplasty as well as a CABG had been performed (Group 2). The study was planned retrospectively and study data have been obtained by screening the hospital registries retrospectively. In the mid-term, patients were invited for a check and their intragroup and intergroup echocardiographic parameters and functional capacities were assessed statistically.
Results: In pre-operational and post-operational intragroup assessment in terms of echocardiographic findings; although LVEDD, LVESD, EDV, PAP and the degree of recurrent MR have been decreased in both groups, the decrease in LVESD and PAP and the low degree of recurrent MR were statistically significant in Group 1 patients (p=0.047, p=0.023, p=0.01, respectively). When the mid-term intergroup echocardiograpic findings were assessed; PAP and recurrent MR have been determined statistically lower in Group 1 patients (p=0.005, p=0.08, respectively). The length of intensive care unit stay, length of hospitalization and length of detachment from respiratory support were statistically significantly longer in ring annuloplasty performed group (p=0.012, p=0.033, p=0.029, respectively).
Conclusions: In moderate to severe IMR patients, a positive contribution can be provided to ventricular remodeling by a ring annuloplasty through a significant decrease in left ventricular diameter and a low recurrent MR and PAP.
How to cite this:Aydin C, Kara I, Ay Y, Inan B, Basel H, Yanartas M, et al. Ischaemic mitral regurgitation: The effects of ring annuloplasty and suture annuloplasty repair techniques on left ventricular re-remodeling. Pak J Med Sci 2013;29(1):31-36. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.12669/pjms.291.2760
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- There are currently no refbacks.