Effective: August 20, 2018
Bi-Monthly PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCES follow the “Recommendations for the Conduct,Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly work in medical journals. Updated Dec. 2015. Available at:http://icmje.org/recommendations/” modified and is recognized by Higher Education Commission, College ofPhysicians & Surgeons Pakistan and PM&DC. This Journal is covered by ISI/Thompson known for IF, Web ofSciences, Indexed by WHO Index Medicus IMEMR Current Contents is covered by EXCERPTA MEDICA,Netherlands, CAB Abstract and Global Health of UK, is registered with International Serials Data System ofFrance bearing ISSN No. 1682-024X (online edition ISSN 1681-715X). It is included in the Directory of OpenAccess Journals (www.doaj.org) on Internet. Hence, all those whose manuscripts are accepted and publishedwill get the necessary credit. (Abbreviated form: PaK J Med Sci.)
While submitting manuscripts, please carefully follow the instructions given below:-
- Submit the manuscript with our online editorial system at www.pjms.com.pk In World in one file starting from title of the manuscript to references including tables. E-mail of each author is required durning the submission process. All submitted manuscripts must be exclusively contributed to Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. Covering letter should also state what information this study adds to medical literature and how it will influence clinical practice.
- Plagiarism: Manuscripts are screened for plagiarism using iThenticate software and those found guilty or involved in publication misconduct are liable to be black listed.
- Do not submit tables as photographs. Give each column an abbreviated heading. Identify statistical measures such as standard deviation and standard error of the mean. Make sure that each figure, table is cited in the text.
- The figures should be sent in JPEG format with atleast 300 dpi of resoulation as separate file (upload as supplementary file).
- We accept only those manuscripts or data that have not been previously published or submitted elsewhere for publication. However, re-analysis of previously published data can be accepted.
- In case the manuscript was earlier submitted to some other Journal and was rejected, the authors must provide full information as to why it was rejected, for proper analysis.
- All manuscripts by multiple authors must be signed by all the authors and contain details of individual authors contribution. All authors must fullfill ICMJE criteria for authorship. In case of suspicion of gift authorship the journal may refuse further processing of the manuscript. Maximum of four authors are allowed in single center studies.
- Informed consent of the patients participating in the study should be undertaken.
- All studies must be approved by the relevant Ethics Committee/Institution Review Boards of the respective institutions and approvel letter should be submitted alongwith the manuscript.
- The authors as well as reviewers are expected to declare the conflict of interest if any.
- Source of funding for the study should be clearly mentioned. Authors involved in scientific misconduct may be black listed and barred from further submissions.
- The journal will accept:- (a) Guest Editorials on important subjects of current interest, (b) Original Articles, (c) Review Articles, (d) Case Reports, (e) Clinical Updates (f) Short Communications (g) Book Reviews (h) Case Studies (i) Clinical Notes (j) CME (k) Obituaries (l) Letters to the Editor. We do not accept Knowledge, Attitude, Practice (KAP) studies, routine surveys and cross sectional studies. Only selected animal studies are entertained. The authors can suggest two reviewers at the time of making submission who may be contacted by the editor if required.
- The desired position of any figure or table should be marked in the manuscript.
- Manuscripts except short communications & Guest Editorials should contain the following sections:-
- Title Page: The complete title of the manuscript, the name of all the authors with their highest qualifications, the department or institution to which they are attached, address for correspondence with telephone numbers, cell phones, e-mail, Fax number and short running title of the article, source of funding, number of figures, tables, total word count and total number of pages.
- Conflicts of interest: When authors submit a manuscript they must disclose all financial and personnel relationship that might bias their work. Authors must state explicitly whether potential conflicts do or do not exist. They should do so in the manuscript on the title page. Additional details can be provided if necessary in a covering letter which accompanies the manuscript.
Authors of study funded by an agency with proprietary or financial interest in the outcome must sign a statement that they had full access to all the data in the study and take complete responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis. This statement should be submitted along with the manuscript.
- Abstract: All original articles must accompany a structured abstract upto 200 words. It should state Objective of the study, Methodology, Results & Conclusions. (Selection of study subjects or experimental animals; observational and analytical methods, give specific data and their statistical significance, if possible). Emphasise new and important aspects of the study or observations. This page should contain structured abstract and key words only. Authors need to be careful that the abstract reflects the content of the article accurately. Single digit figures should be written in words i.e. 2 should be written as two.
- Key Words: Below the abstract give few key words not more than ten that will assist indexers in cross indexing the article as they are published with abstract. Use terms from the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) list of index medicus, if suitable MeSH terms are not yet available for recently introduced terms, present terms may be used.
- Case Report/Review Article: All review articles and case reports should be preceded by a summary. Authors submitting review manuscript should include a section describing the methods used for locating, selecting, extracting and synthesizing data, data bases searched and the time period. These methods should also be summarized in the abstract.
- Introduction: This should summarize the purpose and the rationale for the study. It should neither review the subject extensively nor it should have data or conclusions of the study.
- Methodology: This should include exact method or observation or experiment. If an apparatus is used, it’s manufacturer’s name and address should be given in parenthesis. If the method is established, give reference but if the method is new, give enough information so that another author is able to perform it. If a drug is used, its generic name, dose and route of administration must be given. For patients, age, sex with mean age ± standard deviation must be given. Statistical method must be mentioned and specify any general computer programme used. The Info system used should be clearly mentioned.
- Results: It must be presented in the form of text, tables and illustrations. The contents of the tables should not be all repeated in the text. Instead, a reference to the table number may be given. Long articles may need sub-headings within some sections (especially the Results and Discussion parts) to clarify their contents. Extra or supplementary materials and technical details can be placed in an appendix where it will be accessible. It may be omitted from the printed version but may be published in the electronic version of the journal.
- Discussion: This should emphasize present findings & the variations or similarities with other work done in the field by other workers. Detailed data should not be repeated in the discussion again. Emphasize the new and important aspects of the study and the conclusions that follow from them. It must be mentioned whether the hypothesis mentioned in the article is true, false or no conclusions can be derived.
- References: These should be type in superscript. Maximum References: Original Article 25, Case Report 10, Reviews 40. These references should also be marked in the text. The author should ensure reference to locally published studies by doing proper literature search. It may not be possible for the editor and reviewers to check the accuracy of all reference citations. To minimize such errors author should verify references against the original documents. The References should be written in Vancouver style as per "Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly work in medical journals. Updated Dec. 2015. Available at: http://icmje.org/recommendations/". List all authors when there are six or fewer. If there are seven or more list the first six followed by ”et al” Reference should provide the following information: Author’s name with initials, full title of cited article, name of the journal in which the article appeared (in abbreviated form), Year of Publication, Journal’s Volume, Number and finally first & the last page numbers. Write Page No. like this 120-126. Add DOI number of those references where it is available. Example:--
Hakyemez IN, Kucukbayrak A, Tas T, Yikilgan AB, Akkaya A, Yasayacak A, et al. Nosocomial Acinetobacter baumannii infections and changing Antibiotic Resistance. Pak J Med Sci. 2013;29(5):1245-1248. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.12669/pjms.295.3885
- Reference from the books should have Authors name and initials, full title of cited article, complete title of book, Name of Editors, address (city) the publisher, first and last page numbers and finally the year of publication, such as:-
Haroon TS. How to plan a scientific study, ‘Medical Writing’ (second edition), Jawaid SA, Jafary MH & Zuberi SJ (Eds), Pakistan Medical Journalists Association, Karachi, Pakistan. 1993;pp 1-13.
- In case of multicentre study or trial, the reference should be given as Name of the Group or of study, exact title of the study, full results or partial results, Name of the Journal, Volume and Number, pages and the year. For example:-
TIMI Study Group: Comparison of invasive and conservative strategies after treatment with intravenous tissue plasminogen activator in acute myocardial infarction. Results of the TIMI Phase-II trail. N Eng J Med. 1989;320:618-627.
- Newspaper articles: Malik Mahmood A, autonomous hospitals, “Pulse” International, Karachi, Pakistan, 2000. January 15-31, Page 1 & 2.
- Citation of personal communications and unpublished observations should be strictly limited and given in brackets in the text. These should not appear in the list of references. A paper may not be cited as “Under Publication or in Press” unless it has been accepted for publication & the name of the Journal is given.
- Letter of Undertaking: Manuscripts must be accompanied by letter of undertaking signed by all the authors. Scaned cpoy of Letter of Undertaking should also be uploaded at our online editorial system. Note: Peer Review may take four to five months. Authors who are in a hurry must first enquire before making submission.
Letter of Undertaking in PDF format
- Authorship credit should be based on 1) substantial contributions to conception and design, or acquisition of data, or analysis and interpretation of data; 2) drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content; and 3) final approval of the version to be published. 4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved. Authors should meet conditions 1, 2, 3 and 4. (For details of ICMJE Authorship Criteria see Letter of Undertaking).
- Acquisition of funding, collection of data, or general supervision of the research group, alone does not justify authorship. All persons designated as authors should qualify for authorship & all those who qualify should be listed. A maximum number of four tables or illustrations are allowed. If their numberis more, the manuscript may not be accepted for further processing.
- All persons designated as authors should qualify for authorship and all those who qualify should be listed.
- Each author should have participated sufficiently in the work to take public responsibility for appropriate portions of the content.
- In case of more than one authors in a manuscript, the contributions of each person listed as author in the study should be mentioned.
- When a large, multi-center group has conducted the work, the group should identify the individuals who accept direct responsibility for the manuscript. These individuals should fully meet the criteria for authorship defined above and editors will ask these individuals to complete journal-specific author and conflict of interest disclosure forms. When submitting a group author manuscript, the corresponding author should clearly indicate the preferred citation and should clearly identify all individual authors as well as the group name. Other members of the group should be listed in the acknowledgements. Addition and deletion of authors may not be permitted after submission with LOU signed by authors.
- Acknowledgement: All contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship should be covered in the acknowledgement section. It should include persons who provided technical help, writing assistance and departmental head who only provided general support. Financial and material support should also be acknowledged. Persons who have contributed materially but do not justify authorship can be listed as “clinical investigators” or “participating investigators” or “Scientific advisors” or “critically reviewed the study proposal or collected data."
- Length of the Text: Maximum length of the original manuscript should not exceed 2500 words including title page, table and references. In exceptional cases upto 3500 words may be accommodated. For review article 4000 words. Any term which is mentioned in the text quite frequently must be abbreviated but only if this does not detract from readers comprehension. Such as Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI). Maximum number of tables & illustrations should not exceed four. Case Report: Short report of cases, clinical experience, drug trials and adverse effects can be submitted. Maximum length should not exceed 1500 words, maximum number of ten references, one table or two illustrations. It must contain genuinely new information. Its format should be Title, Abstract, Introduction, Case Report, Discussion and References. Do mention contribution of each author as per authorship criteria. Case reports should not include review of literature. Extra charges will be applicable for lengthy manuscripts if accepted for publication.
- Never start new sentence or paragraph with figures. For example, “9 patients were admitted” should be written as “Nine patients were admitted”. Single digit figures should be written in words i.e. 2 should be written as two.
- The manuscript should be accompanied by a covering letter signed by all authors stating that the manuscript has been read and approved by all the authors, the requirements as stated earlier have been fully met and each author believes that manuscript contains honest work. Mention the name, address, phone, cell phone, e-mail and Fax Number of the corresponding author who will be responsible for communicating and final approval of the proofs. Only correspondence author should communicate with the editor.
- Clinical Trials: Clinical Trials submitted for publication must be registred in public registry, provide registration proof & all RCTs must be based on CONSORT statement. Unregistered trials will not be published.
- Procedure: PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCES is a peer reviewed journal. All articles on receipt for publication are immediately acknowledged but this does not mean that it has been accepted for publication. After initial screening the manuscripts with major deficiencies, or of not instrest to our readers will not be accepted for further processing and external peer-reviewed and the submitter will get an e mail within two weeks of submission. The manuscript is sent to two or more than two Reviewers. We practice open peer review system. The whole review process may take about four to five months time, although efforts are being made to reduce this period. The ultimate authority to accept or reject the manuscript rests with the Editor. Authors have the right to communicate to the editor if they do not wish their manuscript to be reviewed by a particular reviewer because of potential conflicts of interests usually professional, but they may be asked to explain or justify their concerns which is important for the editor in deciding whether to honour such request. The author can also suggest the name of two possible reviewers but it is up to the editor to accept it. Some manuscripts may be processed earlier at a fast pace keeping in view their importance. On receipt of the comments from reviewers, and if approved, letter of acceptance is issued to the correspondence author. Date of publication is confirmed after receipt of publication charges. If required, clarifications are sought from the authors. No article is rejected unless similar comments are received from at least two reviewers.
- Proof Reading: Final version of manuscript is sent to corresponding author for proof reading before publication to avoid any mistakes. Corrections should be conveyed clearly & Editor informed by e-mail.
- Processing Charges: All manuscripts from Pakistan should be accompanied with a payment of Rs. 3,000/- (Non-refundable).
Fast Track Processing: Rs. 20,000/- Overseas US$ 200/-
Note: For fast track processing please check with us whether it is possible before making payment for fast track processing as this facility is made available in only a very few selected cases because of our limitations of human resource and financial constraints. It ensures peer review report within twelve weeks, but there is no guarantee of acceptance or publication. Authors are requested not to opt for fast track processing unless it is extremely essential. Normal peer review process takes 4 to 5 months though efforts are being made to accelerate this process. Plan for six to eight months from submission to acceptance after peer review. Contact the editor if you do not hear about your manuscript after three months.
- Publication charges: Once the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors are required to pay publication charges of Rs.20,000/- (in case of overseas US$ 350/-), Case Report / Brief Communications Rs.15,000/- (in case of overseas US$ 250/-) and Review Article Rs.30,000/- (in case of overseas US$ 500/-) upto 4 printed pages in the journal & Rs.1,000/- extra will be payable for each additional page. Overseas US$ 50/- for each additional page. No reprints will be made available to the authors. Those interested can download the manuscript from PDF file in the online edition of the journal.
- Payment mode and Process: Authors can pay the Processing fee by cash or through online Bank Transfer (Note: Cheque, Pay Order and Bank Draft are not accepted as processing fee).
Publication charges can be paid by cash or through Bank Transfer (TT) or by Bank Draft or Pay Order or through Xpress Money.
- The Pay-Order / Bank Draft should be drawn in the name of Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences and sent at the Editorial Office address: Room NO. 522, 5th Floor, Panorama Centre, Building No.2, Raja Ghanzarfar Ali Road, Saddar, Karachi. Phone: 92-021-35688791.
- Cash can be deposited at our Editorial Office.
- Payment through Xpress Money, should be payable to Mr. Mubarak Ali, National Identity Card No. 42401-1877261-9. After sending the payment, communicate us the Money Transfer Code No. as well as the name of the sender via E-mail. firstname.lastname@example.org
- The publication charges can be sent directly to our bank account through telegraphic transfer (TT) under intimation to us. The relevant bank account details are as under:
Title of Account: Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences
Account Number: 0000401018012405
Name of Bank: MCB Bank Limited, Saddar Branch (00004),
Main Zaib-un-Nisa Street, Karachi - Pakistan.
Code: Swift/Bic: MUCBPKKA
Please note that processing of the manuscript (processing / publication) will be undertaken only after receipt of the charges.
- Waiver request: Those who cannot afford processing, publication charges can apply for waiver at the time of submission of paper (decision on case to case basis maximum discount available up to 50%).
- Drug Trials: Drug trials of preparations by pharmaceutical firms who are regular advertisers of Bi-Monthly Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences will be published without any additional charges after their approval by the Review Committee. Others will be required to pay a fee of Rs.50,000/= only payable in advance after the manuscript has been approved by the Review Committee and is accepted for publication.
- Ethics Committee Approval: All manuscripts submitted to Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences involving human subject must be accompanied with certificate of Institutional Review Board / Ethics Committee Approval.
- Ethical consent: All manuscripts reporting the results of experimental investigations involving human subjects should include a statement confirming the informed consent was obtained from each subject or subject’s guardian, after approval of the experimental protocol by a local human ethics committee.
- Printed Copy: One printed copy will be supplied to the correspondence author. To ensure safe delivery give complete postal address. Authors can order additionals copies at the rate of Rs. 800/- per copy and US$ 50/- per copy for overseas. Payment for additional copies should be added in the publication charghes.
- Ombudsman: Dr. Behrooz Astaneh, Head of Medical Journalism Dept. at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences and Council Member of Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) UK can be contacted by authors, others for redress of their grievances if any on e-mail: email@example.com
Note: Please note processing fee is non-refundable. If you have any doubt, you can send abstract by e mail and get opinion about the suitability of your manuscript’s further processing. We accept Good quality research, original articles. Do not send us KAP studies, animal studies and Survey reports. Systematic Reviews, Reviews, Case Reports have low priority and only a few selected ones are entertained. Make sure at least 30% of references pertain to last five years and reference to local studies is essential. Incomplete submissions and those once rejected may not be entertained either. Plan at least for six to eight months and those who are in a hurry better submit their manuscripts to some other journal as we have our own limitations of human resource and financial constraints though good quality manuscripts may be processed on accelerated pace.
For further queries and further correspondence
Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences
c/o. Professional Medical Publications
Room No. 522, Panorama Centre, Building No. 2,
Raja Ghazanfar Ali Road, Saddar, Karachi-Pakistan.
Phones: 92-021-35688791 & 92-021-35689285. Fax: 92-021-35689860
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Important Check List for contributors
Effective: August 20, 2018
The authors must ensure that before submitting the manuscript for publication, they have taken care of the following: -